5/31/09

Injured Wildlife

Say you happen upon a sick/injured animal in the wild... what should you do?
Trying to help would be sensible, but how? Trying to help is risky for both you and the animal, and yet leaving it alone is difficult.
To be quite honest, I haven't known the answer to this for a long time. Often as I am driving, I begin to think "What if I hit a deer or a small animal...? Do I keep driving? Should I stop the car and make sure it's okay?"

The other day my dad brought home a small baby bird, saying he found it outside by itself and it didn't seem to know how to fly. I was skeptical, and didn't think bringing the bird inside was a good idea; after all, it was just a baby.
So, I quickly went on Google and began to do some research. I found that if you happen upon a baby bird that has wings (fledgling), the best thing to do is to leave it alone, as its parents may be nearby. I told my Dad that we should put it back where he found it, so we did.
I gently nudged the bird out of my cupped hands and back onto the ground, where she immediately began to sing, calling out to her parents. My Dad and I waited, and sure enough, the bird began to hop away and eventually soared up to the nearest branch - she was just fine.

It's difficult to leave wild animals alone, especially when you think they may seem so 'helpless'. The reality is, unless you are 100% positive the animal is in need of care, most of the time leaving them alone is for the best. For all I know, when my Dad picked up the baby bird, her parents might have fled for protection. Hopefully though, her cries were heard.

I've done some research and am not surprised to find that the most sensible solution is to call people who do know how to help. Who are these people? Wildlife Rehabilitation Centers. They're not common, but they're around, and you should be able to find one in your area.
I recommend looking up the Wildlife Rehab Center closest to your area, and storing their phone number in your cell. If you hit a deer, for example, pull over, call the center and tell them your location. If they think it is necessary or possible to help, they'll take care of the rest.

When I was much younger, a friend and I found a small chipmunk that had a broken hind leg and couldn't walk. We were devastated, and carefully placed the animal in a small box. We realized there was nothing we could do, so we called a wildlife center and they arrived within minutes. Unfortunately, we were told that there was nothing that could be done, and that the chipmunk had to be put to sleep. It wasn't good news, but we knew that we had done the right thing.

Of course, unless you have protection (heavy gloves, goggles, proper clothing) you should never attempt to touch or 'save' any wild animal.
If you're unsure of what to do, as I was when my dad showed up with the bird, always see if you can find out what the proper course of action is. You do not want to injure yourself or the animal even more.

I plan on interning at a Wildlife Rehab center in the future; when I do, I'll be sure to post more tips/suggestions as I learn.

Here is a great site that lists Wildlife Centers by area and state:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Other useful links:
Humane Society, with care directions for specific animals
Help! Found Injured Wildlife

---

Wildlife of the Day: Wood Owl

Interesting Facts:
- Common in Asia/India, but also found in Africa
- Usually sedentary
- Feeds on small reptiles and mammals
- Various types: African Wood Owl, Asian Wood Owl, Spotted Wood Owl, Brown Wood Owl...

Spotted Wood Owl video:


No comments:

Post a Comment